......finding a new home for lutefisk lovers.

(ok we don't love it. or even like it. but we're supposed to.)

06 July 2010

Justin Bieber Made Me Cry


Guess what happened to me today? I stumbled across the song that will forever be associated with this move. You know how you have certain songs that evoke certain feelings based on the memories they trigger? ............no? ...........ok, I know SOME of you know what I'm talking about. The rest of you will just have to trust me - or start listening to the radio more often. I, on the other hand, could publish my life story with songs attached to each and every event. I could have one chapter called "Love Will Keep Us Together" - no, that would actually be TWO chapters because it appears in two different eras! And another called "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover." I could have another chapter called "Come On, Eileen" and a whole volume called "Songs from Michael Jackson's Thriller." Then there would be a very sad chapter called "That's Just the Way it is, Baby" (and it was).
Today the iPod was on shuffle while Liam and I scurried about, trying to find places to hide our crap in our hotel room, and the first few notes of Justin Bieber's "U Smile" emerged from my tiny lego-shaped speaker. And it stopped me in my tracks. And I got so sad. This little ditty for the tween set took me down. JUSTIN BIEBER! Oh lordy how did this happen?
It takes me a moment to trace the sadness back to its source..............a tribe of 6 to 9 year old boys who traipsed through my house while I packed, planned, called, emailed and generally fretted all things relocation. The Justin Bieber cd was not just background music for them, it was an activity. They sang, danced, rapped, imitated (pausing to pose in the mirror), discussed, compared and contrasted, and just LUVVED all things Justin Bieber. "U Smile" is the mom song on the album - none of the boys like it because it's slow and sappy (the perfect pop song, right?). But I love it. It's pure pop confection. If it weren't illegal, I would happily walk hand in hand on the beach with that boy. Maybe frolic in the surf. Splash each other and run away laughing. And those boys loved to mock me for liking this silly song.
Coincidentally, (or not coincidentally at all) one of these Justin Bieber boys sent Liam an email today with a very spare but sweet/sad message ............and a link to a Justin Bieber video. It's Liam's very first email message from a friend in his entire life. And I'm feeling a twinge of "this is what we left behind."

4 comments:

Amy Porthan said...

so enjoying these little moments i get of your new life! you are quite the writer! sending luv from mn

K,L,&M said...

Thanks for the MN luv, Amy!

Shannan said...

McKenna would fight you for Justin...I'm proud of you for admitting your cougar attraction to him ;)

Eric said...

I am in Sebastian Joe's right now feeling pretty choked up. I can't believe it took me so long to read your post. Thanks for the memories. Here's to many more!