......finding a new home for lutefisk lovers.

(ok we don't love it. or even like it. but we're supposed to.)

25 August 2010

They're Rose Hips, Dummy!


How come everyone knew that these were rose hips (thanks to all who sent emails regarding my "What Are These?" post) and I thought they were "tomato - thingies?" I feel like I was born in a barn. Or an anti-barn (what is the opposite of a barn?). I had literally never set eyes on these "tomato-thingies" before I started my daily shore path walks......... and I thought I was making this great coastal New England discovery. I thought I was bonding with my new environment and sharing this foreign specimen with everyone at home. Like Lewis & Clark! But, instead, I find out that I just haven't been paying attention. So much for my next career as a botanist.


Here's what I found in my brief, haphazard, impatient internet search:

Question: What are Rose Hips?
Answer: Rose hips are the seed pods of roses. We don’t often see them anymore, because we tend to prune the faded rose blossoms to encourage more flowers. However if you leave the spent flowers on the rose bush at the end of the season, you should see these small, berry-sized, reddish seed balls, left on tips of the stems. They are actually very ornamental and birds enjoy them too.

Ok - so I'm not a complete idiot. It specifically says "We don't often see them anymore....." But still, I thought "rose hips" was a scent invented by The Body Shop, not something that potentially grows in every park in America.

Sigh. I really liked feeling like Lewis & Clark.

1 comment:

marf said...

i say embrace your inner L&C and make rose hip tea from them.
if it makes you feel better, i was informed that the seagulls at lutsen are really herring gulls as there is no sea.
whatever.