......finding a new home for lutefisk lovers.

(ok we don't love it. or even like it. but we're supposed to.)

20 January 2011

Thank You......Daily Walkers


As the weather got colder and my to-do list grew, I felt myself less drawn to the ocean. I got caught up in all the things I wasn't finishing and it became an intrusion into my quest to cross everything off my list.

And I can't help but notice a direct correlation between my daily walks along the shore path and my satisfaction with this place.

So I make an effort. I put on more clothes. And I walk the boards walked by hundreds of avid runners and agile senior citizens every day. I traipse over the board pictured above, repaired by a good samaritan and inscribed with the gratitude of the daily walkers. I smile as I move across the board because I feel I've just been ushered into a club; could I be one of the daily walkers? We've never met but we all meet here at different times to be with the ocean.

The reward at the end............I find a good spot to sit. Maybe a rock perched over the beach or a Kristin-shaped indentation in the mass of pebbles. And I listen to the sound of water rushing over millions of tiny rocks. And I watch the waves swell, break and recede........in a reliable rhythm that makes you see that everything will be ok.

And it occurs to me, could it be that I actually prefer the beach in winter?? There is a crystalline quality; mist hovering and ice covering tide pools. Positively ethereal. Like it's been here for eons but I'm the only one who has seen it. It reminds of a comment I received this summer, shortly after we moved. I told this person how the beach had been my saving grace - after leaving my real home and struggling to make this new home feel like an actual home. How I sat there every day and watched the waves roll in. How it gave me a reason to like this place.

And she replied, "Let's see how that goes this winter."

........which I thought was not a very nice thing to say.

But now I know.......it's going just fine, thank you. Winter throws more obstacles in my way - but once I climb the snowdrift, I see the beach. Just as it was this summer.

No comments: