......finding a new home for lutefisk lovers.

(ok we don't love it. or even like it. but we're supposed to.)

04 March 2011

The Photo Acclimation Project

I've been told many times to "be where you are" and "bloom where you're planted" and "don't live in limbo," etc., etc. All of them directives to excavate the goodness in my surroundings and live in the present moment.........instead of living each day, wishing to be somewhere else, thereby missing the opportunity to reap the benefits of where I live NOW.

I was thinking about this yesterday as I was driving down a winding road flanked by tall trees. And I passed an ancient red barn with strong, clean lines and wrought iron hardware. "Now THAT," I thought to myself, "is classic New England." Then I drove by a small pasture that held two giant workhorses. And I thought, "I have horses in my neighborhood. That is so weird." And then I passed a small waterfall tumbling over rocks and I thought, "I don't hate that. I should drive down this road more often."

Lightbulb moment!

Here's my idea: what if I took pictures of the quintessential New England that I see every day? The things that people love so much that they FLY here just to DRIVE AROUND and look out their windshield (and maybe stay at a B&B with twee wallpaper - wait, getting off track. sorry). Perhaps if I saw these things in photos, I could see more clearly what people are responding to........and then I might be more able to appreciate these things.

My camera will be my new set of eyes.

I will call it...........
"The Photo Acclimation Project."

(but I'd still trade a red barn for some good Viet Namese food. In a heartbeat!)


Here are some photos I've taken so far. I'll keep posting them as my camera sees them. Tell me what you think.......would you want to live here?























3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There we go!

I can't believe we live in such a beautiful place. Can I keep a rooling photo gallery in my office?

Love,

ME

Kristin said...

What's a rooling photo gallery? It sounds European.

Laura said...

This is a great idea. It's almost like you are asking NH to meet you half way in the relationship. Here you are trying to find ways to fit in there; don't you think the least the place can do in return is present itself to your eyes in a way that appeals to YOUR sense of beauty and meaning? I think so. I think it's brilliant.