......finding a new home for lutefisk lovers.

(ok we don't love it. or even like it. but we're supposed to.)

26 April 2011

A Bunny Outing



Thanks, Mom, for getting me the zodiac mug for my Easter Basket.


You're welcome! I'm glad you liked it.


(oh snap! what did i just do? did i just out myself as the easter bunny???)


Did you buy it because you knew I would like it?


(paralysis. what the hell do i do now???)


.....yes (?)


(uncomfortable silence)



I just tricked you, Mom.


(say nothing. don't burst the bubble before it's time.)


I just tricked you into saying that you got all that stuff - not the Easter Bunny.


(he has a smirk on his face. i take that as a good sign. the jig is up........but it's ok. still, i'm not a fan of the big reveal; i'd rather let the knowledge deveop naturally, over time. children know these things when they're ready to know them.)


Of course, I did. Do you really think the Easter Bunny does all that by himself? Everybody needs a little help. Everybody.


(oh that was good. how did i do that so fast? leave it open for interpretation and let him take it wherever he wants.)


Later that evening..........


..........I look at him differently. As if he's crossed over some bridge and come out on the other side looking and sounding just a little bit different. Is he more handsome? He certainly looks sure of himself. Could this be the self-esteem boost that comes with tackling an issue and figuring it out on your own? And feeling that you're old enough and smart enough to be ok with it all?


This from a boy who just hours earlier said that Easter originated as a "celebration of bunnies."


Either way, I think the bunny is dead. And it makes me a little sad and a little proud. I'm sproud.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Aw, I would be sproud too! Perfect word.

kate hopper said...

Love this. Stella is almost there, as well.