......finding a new home for lutefisk lovers.

(ok we don't love it. or even like it. but we're supposed to.)

18 July 2011

A Conversation in Sweden, part 2



Returning to the Tunnelbana after a morning of shopping (hi to Bjorn and Elin!), I take down my umbrella and shake the excess rain off of it.

"Hey! Hey! Dees ees my living room!"

I look down and see that I'm shaking my wet umbrella all over a homeless man sitting at the top of the stairs. I'm mortified. How clueless am I?

"I'm so sorry! I didn't see you there!" I say in my best..........English.

"Ees okay. I needed a shower anyway." (laughs) "Where are you from?"

"I'm from Minnesota."
(again with the Minnesota).

"Oh. I have never been to Minnesota. I have been to New York , though...............and Duluth."

"Duluth is in Minnesota."

"No ees not."

"Yes it is."

"No ees not."

"Yes it is."

"Eet ees?"

"Yes."

"I have been to Minnesota! I deed not know that!"


We chat a few minutes more until he points to a woman standing behind me with a baby stroller. She's saying "ursakta" over and over and I'm not paying any attention because the word doesn't mean anything to me. I'm standing squarely in front of the ramp she needs to get her stroller down the stairs. Just standing there. Chatting with a homeless man on the ground.

"Oops! Sorry! Sorry! Does that mean excuse me?"

My homeless man is laughing now. And he says, "Yes. Eet means MOVE YOUR ASS!"
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anne Greenwood Brown said...

This is one of the many reasons I love you. You stop. You talk.